The Papillon Foundation


The greatest crime of all is a wasted life

Nebraska State Resources


An adult’s criminal conviction in Nebraska cannot be “erased.”  It can be “pardoned” or “set-aside,” but it WILL NOT be erased.  Once there is a conviction on your record, it always will be on your record.

A pardon is a formal forgiveness granted by the Board of Pardons.

A set-aside is an order by the judge who sentenced you in a criminal case which voids the conviction.   As part of the decision to set-aside a criminal conviction, a judge must believe that it is in your best interest to do so and that setting aside the conviction is “consistent with the public welfare.”

The decision is “discretionary,” which means it is totally up to the judge.   While the set-aside does not erase a criminal record, the order setting aside the conviction is added to the criminal record.  Since a criminal conviction affects your ability to get a job, a potential employer doing a criminal background check will see both the  conviction and the order which “sets aside” that conviction.

In the State of Nebraska, there are no laws or statutes that allow a complete expungement of ones criminal history. 

Any law enforcement contact, arrest, or conviction will remain on ones criminal history forever.

Juvenile records are automatically sealed unless:

  • The offense occurred prior to July 15, 2010
  • The court elected not to automatically seal the record
  • You are under the age of 17


     Get Your Nebraska Rap Sheet:

Nebraska State Patrol Criminal History Reports

     Free Pardon & Executive Clemency Forms & Instructions:

Pardon Application Instructions

Nebraska Pardons Board Policy and Procedure Guidelines

Pardon Application

     Free Self-Help Guides & Instructions:

Instructions for Filing Motion to Set Aside a Criminal Conviction

Instructions for Filing a Motion to Seal Juvenile Criminal Record

Nebraska Online Legal Self-Help Center: Filing a Petition to Set Aside a Criminal Conviction

Nebraska Legal Aid: Set Aside Instructions

eHow Article: How to Petition a Court to Expunge Misdemeanor Charges in Nebraska

     Free Statewide Forms & Instructions:

Form CC 6:11 Motion to Set Aside Criminal Conviction

Form CC 6:11(2) Order Setting Aside Criminal Conviction

Form JC 15:1(a) Instructions for Filling Out Motion to Seal Juvenile Record in Juvenile Court

Form JC 15:1 Motion to Seal Records in Juvenile Court

Form JC 15:3(a) Instructions for Filling Out Motion to Seal Record of a Juvenile in County Court

Form JC 15:3 Motion to Seal Records in County Court

Other Free Legal Resources:

Legal Aid of Nebraska